Friday, August 31, 2012

Summer's End: Nap Time

I've tried to keep my personal life out of my writing life, but at some point they have to meet up because they inform each other.

My husband and I are trying to start a family and I've been dealing with some issues. I am on an anti-depressant that I must go off of in order to have a baby, and reducing the anti-depressant is a trial to say the least. It's funny, before I went on the drugs, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to write while on them. Now, I'm discovering the opposite is true.

I haven't decided to quit writing, but I think I am going to work on some other projects besides original works. I have wanted to re-imagine a couple works, R.U.R. by Karel Capek and The Scarecrow by Percy MacKaye. I have some really great ideas for both of them so I think I'm working more on dramaturging and directing (maybe one or the other if I'm lucky).

I do have some original works in progress as well. A DEATH IN THE FAMILY is in need of some serious editing, which will hopefully make the play better. I am also researching a new work on Alan Turing, and I will be doing some editing on some other work.

So, basically I am having the classic lady conundrum: what do you do when you have a child and you're an artist and want to further your art. I am tired of putting my work on the back burner because of other stuff, but I know this is going to keep happening, especially if we decide to have children (or rather, when we have children, because we've already decided). I guess what I wonder is what other ladies out there have done as far as balancing their art and home life.

Part of me wants to stop writing, and that part of me is being silly. It's the part that thinks that maybe if I can't submit my work and get it out there, then what's the point? Well, the point is I have to write. I will get through this. It's not the first time, it won't be the last. I've been incredibly prolific in the last few years, and I think that maybe I need to take a creative break. We all need to rest at some point, and maybe it's nap time.

No comments: