Wednesday, June 6, 2012

OLIVER! tech week

We have invited dress on Thursday and we open Friday.

Things are coming together really well. The orchestra was added in last night and it went so smoothly. I haven't worked with an orchestra before, even when I was in musicals before, so it was surprising how well that went. There's so many beautiful voices in this musical that it's great to hear them backed by an orchestra. It just filled out the missing piece of the show.

Let's see. I have learned so much in the last week. I am calling the show from the booth and this is something I have never done. I am a bit nervous about it. I was pretty much off leash last night with the lighting designer, Tomas, on headset, but I think it went pretty well.

It's funny because I realized how much when I'm not in a show in some way, I am wishing I was. And then when I'm in a show, I just want my free time back. I have so many plans for my free time, but I can't really have the rest of the summer to myself until after July 14--my wedding reception.

During the run of the show, I have learned a lot about directing, stage managing and just being involved on the artistic team side. I don't feel confident enough to direct a show myself, but I definitely enjoyed assisting, and would do that again in a heartbeat. I did, however, learn that I NEVER want to mount a large scale musical myself. Certainly I will be involved in one again, but I will be damned if I ever direct one.

I know, famous last words, I'm sure.

As far as A DEATH IN THE FAMILY goes, I am working on editing the script, and trying to not, for the millionth time, question every part of the script. As soon as the wedding reception stuff is done, I am planning on starting to find places to shop it around to.

No comments: