Sunday, October 9, 2011

Getting ready for November

Things are settling down around these parts--fall is here, and I am so excited to be in a real Midwestern fall. It's exciting to go out for a walk and have GINORMOUS piles of beautiful leaves to crunch around in. I don't recall having that same experience in Arkansas the last four years--mainly because you didn't walk anywhere in that less than pedestrian friendly town I lived in--so I am delighted to be able to experience fall for real. Now, remind me I said that when winter hits and I am whining because I don't have my winter legs anymore!

The real excitement for me is that November is almost here and that means National Playwriting Month is almost here! I am sure that most of you know what this critter is about--I've been doing it for the last four years and moderating for the last three--but in case you are stumbling upon this because you found my site through the National Playwriting Month website--here's the nutshell version of this whole shindig.

Similar in fashion to National Novel Writing Month, NaPlWriMo consists of writing a new play from November 1, at 12:01 a.m. to November 30, 12:59 p.m. (in your time zone). The goal is at least 75 pages in that time. It is a fun, crazy time and I look forward to doing it again this year.  I have been getting ready by making the forums for this year on the site, putting out some adverts on different websites and getting together my quotes for my countdowns and my daily updates. It's funny, every year I think I will not be able to find new quotes--and there are some fun stand bys I always use because they express truths about the writing life that I have yet to find more eloquently expressed--but somehow I always manage to find some new material. I guess it's like ideas--I am always afraid I might not find a new one and then they keep coming. I love that.

Besides NaPlWriMo, I've made some massive changes to A DEATH IN THE FAMILY. The feedback I got from Reston has helped immensely. I had cut about 5 pages from the play so far, and I am sure I will get that bad boy under 100 pages before too long. I have a lot of character work to do and plot work to do and all that good stuff, but things are definitely coming together.

No comments: