Saturday, April 16, 2011

Loving my Play to Death

'Mine' is coming along slowly but surely. I am mostly okay with that. I really love this play, so I am enjoying working on it. I have two characters whose stories I must redo (they don't really work and/or don't really have a story at all) and at least one character who doesn't really have a change happen to her by the end, but for the most part right now I am focusing on the transition from Spanish to Classical Latin and working on the backstory to the world that this play is in. There's a lot going on in the play, and I am hoping it's not too much. And I am still thinking of adding in a chorus at some point. Not in this draft, but maybe eventually.

I am trying to not love this play to death. I am concerned about my objectivity regarding the play. I am editing along just fine, cutting and burning as I go along, so maybe I don't need to be that concerned about it, but I think it's a good idea to think about it at least, and keep it in the back of my mind to keep me on track with this play.

This year is going to be a strange one. Moving, getting married, going to see two of my plays get put up as readings, getting a new job...it doesn't leave a lot of time to submit, but I am trying to get my submission guide in shape and submit to as many as I can because that's the only way I am going to keep going in the business for now.

I am wondering if I should still be shopping the two scripts around to places at this point. I mean, I am assuming there are going to be massive re-writes in both of these plays' futures, and I am really looking forward to making both plays even better, and I could always submit again later with the new drafts, but I don't know if there is protocol to this sort of thing. This is just such new territory for me that I don't know what I am doing!

For now, I will work on 'Mine' and my 'Wizards of Waverly Place' script for the Disney/ABC Fellowship and see what happens.

No comments: