Monday, February 14, 2011

Holding Pattern

Being in a holding pattern, waiting to find out where we are going to end up in six months, is a bit of an emotion and energy suck. This year, I am going to do it differently.

Thankfully, I have a lot of projects and things to do, so I am going to keep busy and try to not think about things.

I have done some work with National PlayREwriting month. I think that we are going to be doing it a lot more loosely than we do November's run. I am going to be editing a play for a reading I have in April over the next couple days I have off, and I am going to take pictures and document my rewriting process. It's very Adrian Monk-like, so I think it would be funny to take pictures and describe it.

Other than that, I am not sure what I am going to do. Perhaps I need to find more quotes and suggestions about rewriting, but I am not sure. I've never done this before, and while I don't want to do it wrong, I don't see how I can, because I haven't done it before! I just want to give the NaPlWriMo people a place to come and talk about the process and get some rewriting done. And I have been itching to work on 'Mine' so this is good.

As far as my reading goes at the library, I have decided to change the play we were going to do and then I changed back. I don't know why, but I am having a hard time finding myself caring about 'Smashing Ryan's Pumpkins'. I think it's a cute play, but I don't know. I'm ambivalent about it. I don't think that's a good place to be, but I think rewriting it and doing a reading of it will confirm if I should continue with it or just ditch it for now. I wish I could do 'A Death in the Family'. I want to see that play up and on its feet so badly. But I will have to wait.

And then there's Script Frenzy. I am very excited to work on 'Human Girl'. After we visited the abandoned elementary school in Transylvania, LA, on the way to NOLA, I felt as though I finally found the setting for the play. I hope that it comes out this time. It's been YEARS since I started work on this play and I think that devoting a month of work to it might just coax it out of its shell.

And I think I have my idea for my 'Wizards of Waverly Place' script. Funny enough, I am going to be scrapping almost all of 'Szyzgy' in order to have it work out. That's fine--I think that it will work well for 'Wizards' if I change it for them. So that's good. Things aren't due until June I don't think, so we will see. I am creating a show bible and taking notes on things I notice instead of writing down the plot and such. It helps free me and watch the show for what I need to watch it for: understanding the characters and their motivations and getting their vocal patterns down.

Lots of work to do and always in the background is this holding pattern. I am surprised that I am keeping as busy as I have been--last year I was not nearly as productive. So we will see.

No comments: