Thursday, February 17, 2011

Giving a Hoot

So the good news is, I have a reading in April.

The bad news is, I could give a rat's about the play itself.

I tried to choose another play, but I couldn't find one that fit the parameters. So I am stuck with the one I think is a yawn-fest and that I don't care about.

I don't know how I got to this point with this play. I started out thinking it was pretty great, but I just can't stand it now. I suppose this happens to writers at some point, but this has never happened to me. I have never written a play that I didn't care about on some level.

Luckily, I have a couple weeks where I can revise it, and get moving on it. But it's hard to motivate myself with it. Right now, I think it's the adults in the play that I am having a hard time with. The kids--yah, I think I got them figured out. The adults are a snorefest and I can't see how anyone will care.

And I don't want to bore my audience. This would be bad. I kind of feel like this is going to be the first reading that a lot of people who attend will go to, and I don't want them to think that all readings are this terrible. I mean, if I can't care about the play, how can I expect the audience to?

I better get back to work on this thing--one way or another, I have a reading--I need to make it count.

No comments: