Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Three Rejections and Two Responses

So far this year, I have been rejected from three theatres. The last one was this morning, and at first, I was bummed. I went in the living room and told the fiance, and I said also that I was getting to the point where I didn't want to look at my email anymore because of the rejections. Then I looked at the email, and realized this one was different.

I got not one, but two responses from readers of the plays for the competition.

This is a rare thing, I have heard, and, in my experience, this is the first time I have gotten this kind of in depth analysis of something I have written.

Both responses didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. This play is desperate for character development and there's a lot of stereotyping, and not always in a good way. Then I was told several things I wasn't aware of.  

I really struggled with the dialogue and at the end found it too Disney for my taste. I think that this play would make a perfect episode of the Wizards of Waverly Place.

The same responder also suggested I get a copyright on the play and send it to The Wizards of Waverly Place.

I might just do that.

Here's the funny part--I've never watched any of those Disney tween shows, or at least that's what I am assuming this Wizards of Waverly Place is. Crazy. Part of me feels like I should  be insulted, but these shows are popular for a reason. I never expected such in depth analysis from a rejection.

It does give me hope that I might be able to get my writing out there yet. It might just be in a different way.

4 comments:

Aaliyah said...

Toni,

Rejection is never easy, but it is part of the process. I've gotten my fair share of rejection letters for my scripts and it just reinforces that I have to continue to grow as a screenwriter and hone my craft.

Rejection can be discouraging but the coverage and feedback I've received reinforces that I have a story to tell. I just need to do a better job of telling it.

I saw you post on Ken Levine blog and decided to check you out. I hope he responds. Best of luck and keep writing.

Toni Wilson said...

Thank you so much for your comment! Wow, I didn't think that I would get anyone else looking at my blog based on my begging Ken Levine to talk to me. :)

Part of the problem was that I was getting rejected and got no explanation as to HOW to make the script better. I know that theatres are very limited on the time they have so it's not their fault (I've been a script reader, I know how tough it can be), but it was the feedback I got after that year and a half of NO, NO, NO that really helped light a fire again. Not that I ever lost it, but I guess I had it hiding under a bushel.

Thank you for your encouragement. It means the world to me.

And best of luck to you as well!

Write on!

Aaliyah said...

I will. If your not already in one find a group of playrights that you can trust to give you that writer's feedback. Writing groups have always helped me despite coverage of lack there of.

Best wishes:)

Toni Wilson said...

I should see if there is a group of playwrights in Little Rock. There aren't a lot of playwrights in Conway, Arkansas, virtually none that I know of. I have some online friends who are willing to look at my work and I trust them, but you're right, a writing group would be helpful. I am going to check it out.