Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Brain Reset

A lot of really good things happened yesterday after I got that rejection for Syzygy. Some of them I can't talk about right at the moment, mostly because they aren't writing related, but I just had to say, the differences in the first post of this year, and the last post of last year is startling.

I watched two episodes of The Wizards of Waverly Place yesterday, the first two episodes of season 1. Of course, season 1 is always going to have that shiny new show smell and be a little tentative. I think I enjoyed the second episode better--the characters felt more relaxed and natural. I have completely fallen in love with the parents on the show and can see a real chemistry with them and they have some really fun quirks that I enjoyed. The older brother feels more developed and the younger brother seems there for comic relief. The daughter could be more developed, but I think that will come with time. I could definitely see how I could make Syzygy work as a spec script.

The thing is, part of me feels insulted that THIS is what my writing might come down to. I guess in a way it feels like being a great actress stuck on a frakking soap opera. But this is no reason to end a career.

So the Disney shows are squeaky clean, and I am good with that. I actually like this show because it's a bit more daring than Disney might do. I think Harry Potter carries the wonderful blame for that, although Disney does have a witch reputation (Bedknobs and Broomsticks being one of my favorite movies of all time, and now I want to go watch it!). I like the fact that while the characters, at least this early in the show, seem very 2D, the girls are not portrayed as sex objects, and while they are stereotypical, I think it's a good show for the tween set. There's plenty of things to laugh at and I think that while I mostly write serious stuff, I think I could fit myself in with this show well.

It's just funny because I NEVER would have thought in a million years that I would be writing these sentences, let alone adding The Wizards of Waverly Place and Hannah Montana to my Netflix queue. But I could totally get behind writing on a show like this.

I am just so thankful that someone got a fire lit under my butt. Things were looking frakking dire there for a moment.

No comments: