Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Human Girl and Script Frenzy


There's been a play, 'Human Girl', that I've been trying to work on for years. I just looked at my file for this play on my external hard drive, and the only files are from 2005. Ten years. And this play keeps coming back and coming back. There's got to be a reason for it.

I've been watching Battlestar Galactica, and I was hoping that in some way, it wouldn't help me with this play. Just like I hoped that District 9 wouldn't make me feel like I shouldn't write this play. Neither of these things happened, luckily.

I discovered a Yahoo! slideshow of urban decay the other day. Urban decay fascinates me--it's so beautiful. The above image is one of the inspirational images I found while searching for urban decay online--unfortunately I didn't save the info for where it came from, but I will NOT claim this image as my work--it's only for inspiration. And I love the fact that there's all this chaos, things falling apart and then there's this couch thing facing an open sky. Gorgeous.

Then I had a thought about 'Human Girl' and something fell together--again. I think, again, maybe it's time to work on this play. But there's a problem--

Script Frenzy isn't until April, and I'm trying to save it until then.

I decided to do Script Frenzy for a couple reasons this year--finally digging on a draft of 'Human Girl' and to see what they do that we could use to differentiate us from them as national playwriting month. Apparently there's a lot of overlap. I don't know because I haven't done it, so I am going to do it this year.

I am quite hopeful for 'Human Girl'--actually getting a draft out will be such an accomplishment. It would mean a lot to me to get it out--'Human Girl' stems from a time in my life that has passed and that is a big theme in this play, so it will be nice to visit a time in my life that has passed while getting a play that's been in my brain for 5 years. Not as long as 'King of Children' but you know. Ideas are ready when they are ready.

No comments: