Tuesday, September 15, 2009

motivation

It's funny how my motivation has recently taken a turn for the stronger and better. I have a HUGE list of theatres and contests and such that I've collected over the years, and I never really did anything with it. I've been spending the last couple of months going back through all of them and finding places to send my work I have ready to go. And it's really helped SO MUCH in so many ways that I can't even really adequately express...it's funny how I don't usually end up being at a loss for words, but I can't even explain this. It's just funny and awesome.

I've been stuck on 'Squall Lines' for months. It's been a mess, but a doable beautiful mess. And there were two theatres that it looked like it would fit in with really well. And one of them has a program going on where you can submit mostly completed drafts. So I dug the play out again and really started to rip it apart. And it's definitely being pulled apart: characters being revealed, scenes being ripped from where they were and cobbled in where they belong, subtext is getting its due and things are starting to make more sense, the less reality I put into the play. It's funny, because it seems like the outside world always intrudes in these plays and makes the world I've created make no sense and makes me want to scrap the project all together. I can't let that happen though. There are rules in the worlds I am creating, and as long as I adequately explain the rules and have them all be obeyed, things are going to be okay in the end.

I'm just happen 'Squall Lines' is starting to come together better. It makes me happy.

Now if 'Sand and Water' would come along, but seriously, I should just be happy that this is happening. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

No comments: