Monday, December 15, 2008

what's wrong


Ever since I finished NaPlaWriMo, I have felt off in my writing. It could be that I've needed a break, and I took one.


But I think I figured out what's REALLY wrong.


I'm a a crossroads. I don't know where to go next. I am not obsessively sending out my work and I know I need to send out more, but I feel sort of stuck.
I'm new to the whole sending out my plays stuff. I don't know what one does. I suppose you just keep sending out plays until someone wants to do it, but I feel like I'm in a vaccuum right now.
And I think that has a lot to do with how I'm writing right now. Maybe not so much the how as not having a group to help me hear my plays out loud. I don't think I know enough people who have the time or the energy to invest in an evening of reading one of my plays out loud and discussing it. I know that the best thing for me is to have people read it out loud, informally, formally, whatever. But I need this so I can know what else I need to do to make it better. Because I feel like I'm a good writer, but plays are meant to be read out loud.
I feel like back in the Quad Cities right now, I would have a much better time with trying to get this done. But you know the grass is always greener and bullshit like that.
I'll admit, I am kind of complaining without doing much work with this aspect. I don't know much about playwriting beyond actually writing the plays and sending a few out here and there. I wish there was some kind of guidebook.
But I can just write my own as I go along. I just need to get it together and get it done.
So nothing's really wrong, exactly. I just need to get my ass in gear.


2 comments:

DL said...

This is giving me a great idea on how to continue having naplwrimo work for us during the year as having it be a place where people can connect more on what they are doing with their play and making naplwrimo a place to motivate people to do that as well !

Thanks and good luck !

Toni Wilson said...

Thanks, Boo. Anything I can do to contribute to naplwrimo in any respect, let me know. :)