Thursday, November 20, 2008

And done.

But not really done.

Yesterday, November 19, 2008, I finished my first National Playwriting Month play. The play is called 'Old Woman' currently, but since it's evolved into a whole other creature, it's title will be 'Highway to Hades' from now on.

This has been an insane 19 days. When I got to around day 7 and I was feeling really lousy about my play because it wasn't as fabulous on paper as it was in my head, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't quit. I owed it to myself to figure out what was going on and finish the play. Part of the problem was that I was trying to write my first draft on the computer. I've been writing long enough to know that this seldom works for me. So once I started attempting to do some of the work long hand, I had break through after break through after break through. It's just something about being intimate with the paper and smell of the ink. I don't know what it is, but it breaks through.

And all my plays have some kind of research involved. This one was probably one of the most research heavy onces I've written since 'Koma' when I took dramaturgy with Art Borrecca at Uiowa. It's all mythology based, there's a chorus and everything.

So this is what the 19 days were like for me:

write about 20 pages, hate them, start doing long hand writing, research, scrap about half the 20 pages, start writing ALL of it long hand, typing it in as soon as I had a scene and a choral ode done. I did this all within 19 days.

I feel the first draft suffers worse for the wear in this instance. I had to sacrifice a lot of quality of the writing in order to get the whole thing done, but it got to a point where I just had to finish. I was 15, 10 pages away from the end, and it was so close, I just had to run for it.

Tomorrow I'll post the play on the website (after I do a spell check, because i didn't do one after the last round of writing on the 19th). And then eventually I will start doing edits.

But I finished.

It still hasn't sunk in yet.

No comments: