Saturday, May 24, 2008

killing my babies: Redux

So yeah. I know I have to do it. And that might be why I feel like I hit a wall with 'Squall Lines', who knows. But I know there's whole chunks of that play that's going to have to go. It's not starting in the middle of the work, it's just kind of floundering around. And the most disheartening part of the whole editing process right now is realizing that these characters aren't doing what i had planned for them.

Didn't I talk about this earlier? Didn't I talk about not forcing your will on your characters, your work, your play?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did, and I'm not living up to my own advice very well. So I am going to do the next best thing: set it aside for at least a week and do something else.

I think that's what's been going on with me today. I've just been blah blah blah. And struggling with 'Squall Lines' isn't helping.

The thing is, this is based on a true story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Orient_Airlines_Flight_2501
I love wikipedia to start research with. It usually gives me some good terms to start with for searching.

But since this is based on a true story, i really feel a calling to get it going and done, but I still haven't finished writing a full first draft. It's annoying. I guess I shouldn't be grumpy about it when it took me four years or something to get a full draft of 'Pleased to Meet Me' out, but still. There's something longing to be said. I felt that with 'Hauntings' too.

So yeah, not the best writing day.

I did print off 'A Death in the Family' and 'All Shook Up' to work on the rest of the weekend and I suppose I will drag 'Squall Lines' around as well. But we will see.

So i haven't killed my babies yet. I guess I have to get detached from them first. But sometimes it's hard.

No comments: